Growing up in New Orleans, you know something delicious is being prepared when you smell the aroma of a flavorful Roux coming from your my Mom’s kitchen. The Roux is the first step to preparing many Cajun dishes like our Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Today, we are teaching you how to make our foundational 5 Minute Roux.
Today, we will be walking you through step by step of preparing the perfect 5 Minute Roux, which can be used in a variety of recipes such as our Cajun Chicken Sausage and Gumbo.
How to Prepare a 5 Minute Roux
First, start off by adding your oil in a large nonstick pan – we like to use a Cast Iron pan, such as our Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. Next, add your flour and stir constantly until you achieve a light to medium coffee color like below.
Continue to stir until you have nice paste that forms, ensuring it is not too runny or thick. If needed, add in additional flour or oil to achieve the perfect consistency.
Once you have reached your desired consistency and color is achieved, add in your onions.
Cook your onions until you feel they are thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat, and add to your favorite recipe.Print
Create our easy to make 5 Minute Roux, which is foundational to our beloved Cajun recipes such as our Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Avocado Oil
- 1 heaping cooking spoon of white flour
- 1 onion, chopped finely (we use Purple Onion)
- In a large nonstick pan, add your Avocado Oil on medium heat, warm oil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir constantly until the flour and oil mixture turns a medium coffee color.
- You should have a nice paste that forms in your pan, not too runny or too thick. Feel free to add additional oil or flour to create the correct consistency.
- Once the correct color is achieved add the onions and cook until translucent then remove from heat.