Create an Italian culinary experience with the creamy, rich, sweet, and spicy flavors in our Carbone-inspired Spicy Rigatoni.
- 1/2 lb Pipe Rigate
- 2–3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4–6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1–2 Tablespoons Calabrian Peppers
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup and 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- fresh Basil cut in ribbons for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, reserving ¼ cup of the hot pasta water. Place the cooked, drained pasta in a large bowl.
- Pour the olive oil into a heavy-duty pot (one that will fit your pasta noodles and sauce), and place heat on medium-low.
- Add the chopped onion to the olive oil and saute until fragrant, on medium-low heat, 1-2 minutes. Add the minced garlic to the pot and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the onions and garlic and stir until well combined.
- Add the Calabrian Peppers to the tomato paste and combine until the peppers are well distributed through the sauce. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the tomato sauce.
- Pour the pasta water into the tomato sauce and stir well.
- Pour the entire pint of whipping cream into the sauce, and stir continuously over low heat until hot and bubbly. Add Parmesan cheese and stir until well combined.
- Pour the pasta into the pot and stir until all of the noodles are covered in the sauce.
- Serve the pasta on a plate, garnishing the pasta with Basil ribbons and remaining Parmesan cheese.